• England - penalty shootout

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Croatia - penalty shootout

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Croatia. They hung in there when they had to.

To all the English members in the group, sincere commiserations.

I hope we see a new name on the trophy on Sunday.

Wouldn't be so downbeat. It was only 28 years since the last WC Semi-Final, it was our best chance possible with Columbia, Sweden & leading Croatia for 68 minutes and we could have scored two or three. So not a missed opportunity at all!

See you in 2046!

:mad:

It's actually a rather spooky carbon copy of England's last game in the Luzhniki Stadium, the Euro 2008 qualifier against Russia.

Scored early, had chances to put the game away in the first half, didn't take them, opponent survived, rallied and then prevailed.

It's been their achilles heel for a long, long time. Ever since the 1970 QF against West Germany, there has far too often been a lack of killer instinct and ability to turn dominance into a two-goal lead. The Sweden game was that very rare "stroll" to a win in a very big knockout game.

It's a very good learning experience for them though. Problem is, when the Euros come along in 2020, France, Belgium and Croatia will likely still be around.
And Spain and Germany will surely respond to their failures at this tournament.

Sometimes the window of opportunity closes as quickly as it opens.

3rd place playoff is now a Golden Boot showdown between Lukaku and Kane.

PS Loving the banter between Keano and Wrighty.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Soooooooo happy!!! Feeling like my country won :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:
Well I'll be cheering Croatia on against the bloody French Sunday. :cheers:

P.S. I noticed not a single person picked Croatia in extra time in the poll....that's why bookies are rich and the people aren't.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Soooooooo happy!!! Feeling like my country won :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

It's a tremendous acheivement for such a small country Jelena. Population of only 4 million (?).

They are the smallest country to reach the WC Final since Uruguay in 1950, as well the lowest ranked team to reach one (20th).

It makes up for their failure at the Euros 2 years ago, where they lost in the last 16 to the eventual winners, Portugal.
They should never have lost that game and if they had not, they probably would have made the final.

It's a tremendous acheivement for such a small country Jelena. Population of only 4 million (?).

They are the smallest country to reach the WC Final since Uruguay in 1950, as well the lowest ranked team to reach one (20th).

Small, but one of the pretties countries in the world :) We here from Balkans have always been very good in many sports (basketball, water polo, volleyball, tennis, now even football) :p
Proof that the size doesn't matter :laugh::laugh:

I am going to be cheering on Croatia Sunday. I don't want to see a bunch of French-Canadians who couldn't identify France on map celebrating in the Byward Market like they did in 1998 and 2000. Their ancestors may be from France but they're Canadians, not French.

Can’t believe England are being lorded for their so called gallant effort and restoring pride to the nation.REALLY! Maybe I stand alone and have some sort of illness that’s never been diagnosed making me see things differently from everyone else but from where I am standing I see it like this. England came within a couple of minutes of drawing with Tunisia (Who?). You know Tunisia that great footballing nation. They then thumped Panama who wouldn’t win the Vauxhall conference. Then lost to Belgium. Beat Columbia on penalties which is a coin flip. Then Sweden who are about as expectant as Poland and pretty much lame ducks. Then lose to Croatia. Cometh the hour, cometh the man but the hour came and no man cometh. What’s new?

Oh how foolish one feels to believe England could take that next step, hell, even win the darn thing :laugh:

Amazing what a bit of hype and ballyhoo can do to kid everyone :D

Fact is, and the reason I've initially not got carried away in the euphoria is because I've seen this on infinite loop since Euro '88, and in the cold light of day, England had a stupendously gratuitous pathway to the Semis.

Not one opponent of note, really, and so they were found wanting when they finally did face one, albeit they were 23 minutes away from something quite unthinkable....

I do think there's a touch of over-reaction with this, people feeling depressed, kids not going to school or even talking etc etc

And proposing that Southgate gets knighted is beyond absurd. I know we're success- starved but nothing was actually won! Get a grip :laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back